Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New Hampshire and Maine

We started out in our usual fashion with a PIT stop in Concord, NH. Then we drove toward Maine and drove through Durham, NH to see yet another hockey school, New Hampshire.

We drove in to Maine and started up I-95. At a vistor's center, we collected brochures. Then Debbie noticed that the rest stop was shared with U.S. Route 1. She wondered if maybe we could get to Route 1. WE COULD - right out of the rest stop! Never seen that before! We were driving up Route 1 and thought about going over to 1A which is closer to the ocean. Missed the first turn for 1A and we happened to pass Stonewall Kitchen. Deb almost jumped out of the car. So, we circled back and took a look. We walked out with a bunch of food... no, they shipped it home for us.

Then on my second attempt to take 1A, I realized that it was going to take us south back the way we had just came. So, I turned left to head north and take a chance. What a beautiful chance that was. We found the coastline at what I believe is Phillip's Cove, where Sarah took this video of the ocean.


Then we continued up the coast and drove into Kennebunkport, Maine and had lunch. We all tried some lobster, Sarah couldn't eat it. Then we continued up the coast thru Old Orchard, were we saw the Amtrak train pass through town. Then we drove to Portland Maine to find a place for the night. We had to drive to Freeport, Maine to find a place. After dinner the girls went swimming and Debbie went exploring. She found LLBean in Freeport.

Tomorrow we head for Bar Harbor and Acaidia National Park.

1 comment:

  1. I correct the place to "Stonewall Kitchen". I usually post these late at night when I am tired and everyone else is asleep. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete